Helpful hints for freshness!
1. Store ripe tomatoes outside of the fridge! Keeping them at room temperature keeps the healthy enzymes alive and active.
2. One spoiled apple can affect the entire bunch, so make sure to remove any that shows signs of rotting!
3. Always store mushrooms in cardboard or a brown paper bag, never in plastic, for maximom longevity!
4. To prevent guacamole from browning, cover it in plastic wrap and make sure the plastic is touching the entire exposed surface of the dip. Keeping the pits in the guac kelps preserve freshness too!
5. Wrap greens such as broccoli, lettuce and celery in foil to keep them crisp and fresh longer.
6. Store chopped chives in a plastic water bottle.
7. Wrapping the tops of a banana bunch will keep them fresh for up to 3-5 days longer!
8. For extended freshness, store asparagus like flowers!
9. To make cheese last longer, add a dab of butter to the cut side of the cheese to prevent it from drying out. Also, wrap cheese in wax paper, not plastic, then place it into a reusable baggie and store it in the warmest area of your fridge. Not your chiller drawer!
10. To make berries last longer, rinse them in vinegar - white or apple cider will do the trick!